Sunday, June 8, 2008

Time for reflections

Since I have some down time today, I figured it would be great to reflect on some German culture...

1) German Frühstück (breakfast)

This might just be European breakfast in general, but man do I love it. I dont know if Ill be able to go back to my daily bowl of Special K Red Berries cereal. Every morning is an overall smorgasbord. Involving some of my favorite foods: carbs, cheese, and Nutella. There is usually a big basket of Brötchen (rolls) and various things to put on it. Jelly, cream cheese, Nutella, cheeses, and meats. And boy is it all tasty. They also have eggs, but not the normal eggs Im used to. Theres no scrambled, sunny side up, or over easy. Just a hard boiled egg, but boiled only to the point that the outside is hard, but the yolk is still soft. Like a sunny side up still contained in its shell. Cant say I mind it, though I still havent perfected the art of cracking the top off with ease. One thing that I cant bring myself to try: they put yogurt in their cereal... with the milk. Call me old fashioned, but that just seems odd.

2) Kölsch

The local dialect in Köln (Cologne) is called Kölsch, but thankfully no one Ive been around really speaks to me with it. I think its considered too colloquial, its like the German Ebonics.

3) Cologne vs Dusseldorf

I was unaware of the somewhat friendly battle between Dusseldorf and Cologne, the two cities I decided to visit. The hatred is similar to the North vs South back home (minus slavery and a war) or Boston Red Sox vs New York Yankees (instead of baseball add Fußball). They live on opposite sides of the Rhein River, they both have soccer teams, and they both claim to throw a pretty good Carnival.

4) German Greetings

If you wake up or go to sleep, you better say Guten Morgen/Nacht. Im not used to always greeting everybody, and since I like roam in and out of rooms as I please it was a little odd. The common shaking hands is out the door, at least after the first time you meet. Everyone hugs and does the little cheek to cheek thing, which is very cute. Im afriad Ive come off to some people as cold or awkward, but I didnt think this way of greeting would actually feel different.

5) German Musik

I hate to say it, but German Musik lives up to the American stereotype. Hausmusik, Trance, Schlager, etc. Some of it is good, but its so funny to listen to in general. If its not the popular American artists (which make a large appearance in the radio and on TV) then its this.

I think thats enough for now, go figure my largest section is on food...

No comments: